Follow me on Twitter

Thursday, June 11, 2009

A Sling, A Marvelous Thing...

Along with some other much appreciated baby gear, my husband and I were given a baby backpack. You know, the type that looks very much like a rucksack with a frame. Looking at it, I think it would be a good idea but just not something I'd ever wear. The plan is for Hubby to use it from time to time and see how he likes it.
It got me interested though, in what alternatives there are to baby backpacks out there. As I surfed around the internet, I came across many types of contraptions - from elegant to ugly- that people use to "wear" their babies.
I was unaware there was a whole community and heaps of research on the idea of "baby wearing" so I did a Google search and found TheBabyWearer.com. This website has heaps of information about baby wearing and I am certainly interested in learning more and trying it out. According to research, wearing your baby is good for baby's physical, mental and emotional development, and will help them cry less. Sounds good to me! Now to find a baby carrier that suits my style...there are some even worthy of celebs out there so I know they exist - if I can't justify the price the one I like I may even try making one myself.


TheBabyWearer.com has a whole page of links to help you sew your own baby carrier. There are ring slings and pouches, mei-tais and man-tais. Everything down to doll slings for older children to use with their toys and no sew versions. My favorite link from the links is to KarmaBaby where they sell pouch-style carriers in fabulous fabrics and even give you instructions to make your own in case you're like me and would rather make something than buy it.
So, once I'm finished the quilt I've started for our older girl, I'll go ahead and try one of the KarmaBaby pouches - wish me luck!

No comments:

Post a Comment