Follow me on Twitter

Thursday, June 4, 2009

Bundeling the Bump

It's June and it's COLD. Despite the lovely blue sky and shining sun over the first days of June I have been able to recognize winter is here. Each morning this month there has been a layer of frost on my car requiring a good scrape or for the car to run 10 minutes to defrost it.
I grew up in Canada and am so used to heading into summer around this time of year. This will be my 3rd winter here in New Zealand and although I know and understand summer can't last all year, I still subconsciously expect nice weather in June.
I have said before that I'm finding dressing during pregnancy a challenge. The the colder weather, one of the biggest challenges I'm finding is keeping warm enough! I have a long wollen coat that I've worn in years past that has always been a bit roomy...unfortunately, only the top 3 buttons do up at the moment and it's a wee bit drafty.
I thought finding a maternity coat would probably be like looking for any other maternity clothes - lots of them out there without many suiting my style or budget. What I've found, however, is a distinct lack of cold-weather coats for those of us "in bloom" at the moment. Many of the coats I see in maternity shops are not lined or they are cropped-sleeve jackets (which I love the look of, but can't rely on to stay warm).
Why don't I just buy a larger sized regular coat a friend asked me. The thing is if you buy a winter coat several sizes too large, it may be too long and look frumpy; also, the sleeves may be too long and the shoulders probably won't sit in the right spot. Right now I'm looking at cape and swing style regular coats to get the right fit in the shoulders and arms with a free size around the belly.
Online, I've found several reasonably priced options in America but once shipping is added (sometimes as much as doubling the cost of the item) and the exchange rate calculated, all illusion is shattered and I'm spending as much as $500 for a coat. If you're in America, however, A Pea in the Pod seems to be a great source for a range of maternity and they have a lot of sales on currently.

No comments:

Post a Comment