Follow me on Twitter

Thursday, August 27, 2009

"It's the Pits", or "Cankle Chronicles"

I was reading a post on ONTD the other day which featured some photos of one of the many currently pregnant celebs. As I scrolled down to the comments on the post, I noticed one poster sympathizing with just how swollen the poor girls feet were. Then I looked at my own (they were propped up at the time so I could see them). This celeb's feet and ankles were perfectly thin and lovely compared to my own.
I'm currently suffering from constant swelling in my feet and ankles. It goes down after I put my feet up for about an hour, but never fully away. Not even after a whole night in bed. The other night I noticed the colour of my poor feet looking a bit purple - yuck. Then I pressed in on the swelling and the indentation of my finger stayed there. Pitting Edema. As a nurse, something I never thought I would have. Pitting edema is for elderly ladies with heart failure, poor circulation, kidney problems. Of course, it happens to preggos too, but I guess I assumed I'd be one of the lucky ones kicking up my heels in...well, heels. I've been wearing flat shoes for ages now, any mostly ballet style ones at that since many of my laceups and other covered shoes and boots have been a bit uncomfortable. The last time I attempted to put on a pair of heels was 1 Aug when we were going out to the Specials show - they lasted 2 minutes.
So, another thing to chalk up to my list of pregnancy complaints and discuss with the midwife on my next appointment. So long as my BP and protein tests stay normal I guess there's not a huge issue with having huge ankles...except cosmetically, of course.

No comments:

Post a Comment