Follow me on Twitter

Tuesday, April 21, 2009

Vaccination Station

My current job is working as an Occupational Health Nurse. I teach first aid and basic health education, I do basic health and wellness checks and I provide influenza immunizations when 'flu season rolls around.

It's that time of year here in New Zealand. Autumn. The death of summer and the beginning of shorter days, cold, wet weather, and the flu season. So far, this season, I've vaccinated hundreds of healthy adults against several strains of influenza including those much publicized "Brisbane Strains".

On my first visit to the doctor after finding out I was pregnant, I asked him what his thoughts on influenza vaccination during pregnancy were - I was surprised to find out he was against it.

Certainly, there is conflicting information out there on whether or not to vaccinate against influenza during pregnancy. One of the main dangers of the flu shot during pregnancy is exposure to a mecury-containing preservative called thimerosal. It is thought that exposure to mercury-containing compounds can cause birth defects when taken in excess. The Centre for Disease Control in America points out that the amount of thimerosal contained in the flu vaccine is very low and the benefits of vaccination outweigh the very small, potential risk of birth defects related to thimerosal. Interestingly, the advice my doctor gave me about abstaining from the vaccine this year had nothing to do about the mercury content and more to do with the views that the threat of flu infection is rare in a normal pregnancy and the lack of evidence of efficacy of the vaccine in pregnant women.

Being a nurse, I know what the benefits of the influenza vaccine are. The primary benefit being greatly reducing your chance of influenza infection and being very ill for many days or, in some cases, weeks, and the possible complications of influenza infection including pneumonia. In pregnancy, a further benefit is immunity being passed on to your newborn.

Each woman, in consultation with her physician, midwife, or obstetrician, will need to weigh the risks and benefits of being vaccinated for influenza. I have decided to hold off on my decision for the moment until I can speak to the midwife who will be following me through the rest of my pregnancy (that and the fact I've a bit of a cold right now...).

If you are looking for more information to arm yourself with before you speak to your medical practitioner, either about getting the vaccine yourself or any members of your family, these links can help (they are all credible sources!)
Mayo Clinic information on Flu Shots in Pregnancy
Medpedia information on Flu Shots in Pregnancy
Journal of American Physicians and Surgeons Critical Analysis of the Flu Shot During Pregnancy
New Zealand National Influenza Strategy Group website
Centre for Disease Control Flu Facts

No comments:

Post a Comment