Follow me on Twitter

Wednesday, May 20, 2009

Dressing for Two

At 19 weeks pregnant I’m definitely showing. I suppose I’ve been showing for several weeks now and indeed, I’ve been noticing changes in how my clothes fit since about week 11. I’m at the point now where my regular pants don’t do up and most of my shirts are too short, so I’ve really had to make an effort to tackle this belly issue.
I’ve looked around at brick and mortar stores, online stores, and online auction sites and have felt mainly disenfranchised. Much of the maternity wear doesn’t really fit my style first off, and then there’s the issue of cost. I’m not one to normally spend heaps on clothing (well, not lately anyway) so it seems extravagant to me to spend $100s on articles of clothing I may wear only a handful of times in the next several months.
I have managed to pick up several items and am coping for the moment. I’ve purchased jeans and work pants from a maternity shop, several nice shirts from a regular shop (but they are long and stretchy and will do for some time), and jeans and maternity lingerie online. I’ve also been very lucky to receive some hand-me-downs from a family friend; even though several of the items are still too big, I’ve got a long way to grow!
I intend to stick to my regular style, which is slightly alternative, throughout my pregnancy so I know I will have to continue to look carefully for pieces that suit my style and my changing figure. I may even have a go at making or modifying some clothes to my specifications. I’ll keep you updated :)

PS - If anyone knows of a great looking dress up or down style of maternity pant that won't threaten to fall down at every step without wearing a belt let me know!

No comments:

Post a Comment